25.2.08

if you're into epidemic dieases...

...and who isn't, right?
I like to go to the library without a plan of what I'm getting. I usually just peruse the New Fiction and New Nonfiction sections and grab whatever seems interesting. This book, The Strange Case of the Broad Street Pump, was one of those finds. It chronicles the spread of Cholera in London in the 1800's. Overall, it was a really cool glimpse into English society and its medical establishment. In addition to elaborating on the backstory quite a bit, it really did a good job of highlighting a little known pioneer of epidemiology, John Snow. I had never heard of him before reading this book, and knowing how much he contributed, I'm surprised. Anyways, I'm not sure if toward the end I was just harried and unable to comprehend basic sentences, or if the story cohesion kind of fell apart toward the end, but I kept losing my train of thought in the last third of the book. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the former though- I can be a little, well, spacy. All in all, a pretty rad story.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I love epidemic diseases! OMG!

You know what else is like an epidemic? Memes! TAG!