24.2.08

Middle Way Breakfast?!?

Yep, that's right, this morning I treated myself to breakfast at the Middle Way Cafe. It was a test breakfast, and they won't be serving breakfast regularly for a little while yet, although I'm not sure of the exact date, but... Anyways, I walked in to see everyone I know with children sitting at three tables squeezed together (except for the children, which were scattered on, under and around said table...) It was pure chaos, but the happy gleeful kind, at least to us. I'm not sure what our neighbors thought, but oh, well. We had fun.
Everything looked good. I got there late so I got to watch everyone else's food come. Huevos Rancheros, Eggs Benny, and this one awesome dish that was like eggs benedict with artichoke hearts instead of english muffins. I can't recall the name of the dish. It was presented so elegantly, and I almost regretted getting the Shepherd's Omelet, until it came, that is. Holy Moley, it was good. Usually, breakfast is disappointing because I always think, I could've made that at home, but this was beyond my casual kitchen skills. It was filled with goat cheese, spinach, roasted red peppers, and caramelized onions. There was a side of breakfast potatoes that were lacking for nothing in taste or texture, and a garnish of fresh pineapple and honeydew. I'm sure as more fresh awesome produce becomes available and in season, that may change, but it was really great.
Not only is that restaurant beyond kid friendly, it just has the nicest light ever, on account of the exposure on both sides of the space. And all the awesome art is still up.
I think the thing I really like about it is that it's nice enough to really be a special place to go, yet casual enough to stop in for a coffee cake and a drink and go. Think Sacks (as far as breakfasts and ambience goes) and a not so much focus on "arranging" on the plate, mixed with Snow City minus the ridiculous crowds and that West High 1993 class reunion feel. Midtown is really where it's at, and I never thought I'd hear myself say that, but it's true! Next up for review, Yak and Yeti, the new Indian/Himalayan place on Spenard across from the Carousel. I can't wait!!

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

Wow, that sounds really good....

Korynn said...

I want to go there with you next time I'm up there....fo sho

Amber said...

Did they ever decide to do it regularly? I would love to have breakfast there!