25.12.08

I think I've cooked and baked more this week than ever before in my life. It's like all my futile efforts to plan meals and have a pantry of food and the energy and time to just make food all came together with the desire to do it. Some of the highlights, crumpets, brioche rolls with dark chocolate inside, lemon tea cookies, and a yummy leftover carrot-chicken teriyaki. I've been on a roll- I remember to soak the beans and start the brown rice, I spontaneously come up with yummy cheap meals based on what's sitting around. It feels good to not eat out, and to feel creative doing something that used to be a chore.
So for Christmas this morning, I made the Brioche. I was really worried to see that it hadn't risen at all over the long overnight chill, but I think it's because I may have added a little too much butter. After shaping them and squishing some dark chocolate into the middle I let them rise for two more hours and they about doubled, so I baked them off and they were really good. The only problem I have with brioche is that they are so rich but also so irresistible that I had way too many and now I feel like I ate a stick of butter.
I'm really looking forward to the new year- I'm hoping it's calm and simple and peaceful. I am really appreciating that kind of stuff lately. I still have the big dreams, but I'm not antsy for them anymore. Maybe that's a little sad, but it just feels better being happy in the moment- and who knows, maybe I'll be an urban organic farmer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think an Urban Organ Farmer would be a lot more exciting, and profitable.

Meghan said...

Definitely. I'll look into that.