25.4.08

Yay for pedicures. Kind of. Nay for shoveling in front of three houses after a foot of snow has fallen at the end of April after said pedi and messing my perfect toes up.
Pedicures are weird. I like after they're done, but I hate the nipping part and I'm never totally satisfied. They're still kind of callous-y and not like a baby's feet. That's what I want- baby feet, but bigger, otherwise I'd fall over.
I also feel weird about someone having to scrub my feet. I'm not comfortable with being in that position. Today I sat and imagined life after the apocalypse, telling Kisun how I used to have my feet scrubbed in a jacuzzi tub while they brought me hot tea. How ridiculous and excessive. But in a nice way.
When I lived in Los Angeles I worked in a strip mall, and across the way was a nail salon where they'd polish your nails for like 6 bucks. My then-boyfriend worked at a little sushi place (also in the strip mall) and usually worked opposite shifts from me so I spent a lot of time waiting for him to get off work. One day I decided to get my nails polished, even though at any given time I have tiny stubs for finger nails. I ended up having them done every week or so, mostly just to kill time. That strip mall was strange. I guess it was more of an open air mall, with a movie theatre, coffee shop, bulk candy shop, 24 hour fitness center, (I think building code in LA requires you to throw one in whatever you build.), and this rad little thrift store, a dog groomers,a rad old fashioned Italian bakery....all kinds of things. It was the highlight of Torrance, which isn't saying a whole lot, but it was pretty cool. I also worked with really funny people- Luis and Giorgio, the brothers, were the most hilarious people ever. This was in a very Korean part of town, and there was a green tea ice cream shop waaay before that kind of thing was cool. There were also amazing Korean pastry shops, and these beautiful cosmetic shops where everything was written in Korean. And the only other cool thing about Torrance was this awesome little clothing store ran by this Japanese guy- all his stuff was imported from Tokyo or Paris or New York. I bought some rad things there, but my crappy ex stole it all. The best part about LA, after leaving and the weather, was that my friend Megan lived in Los Feliz, and the few times I saw her were happy and exciting- oh, and just a bit of warning- the things I said about Torrance were not meant to imply that Torrance is in any way worth going to/ through, but if you find yourself trapped there against your will, feel free to check out said "fun" things.

No comments: